In this article you will see how to configure the Managed Metadata Service Application in SharePoint 2013.
1. Verify that you have one of the following administrative credentials:
Member of the farm administrator group
Member of the farm administrator group on the server running the SharePoint Central Administration.
2. Open Central Administration.
3. Click on Manage service applications which is available in the Application Management section.
Figure 2-1: Application Management section in SharePoint 2013
4. In the ribbon interface click on the Service Applications tab, click on the drop down arrow in the New button which is available in the Create group.
Figure 2-2: New button in ribbon interface to create a new service application
5. Click on Managed Metadata Service.
6. Enter the Service Application Name as Managed Metadata Service, Database Server and Database Name as shown in Figure 2-3.
7. Select "Create new application pool" and enter ManagedMetadataAppPool in the Application pool Name as shown in Figure 2-3.
Figure 2-3: Specify the settings for the new Managed Metadata Service Application
8. Select the managed account from the Configurable drop down as shown in Figure 2-3.
9. Select "Report syndication import errors from Site Collections using this service application". When a web application is consuming the content types that are shared by this service, you may get errors. If you enable this option those errors will be recorded in the error log of the site collection that is consuming as well in the error log of the site collection that is publishing.
10. Select "Add this service application to the farm's default list" so that this service application will be automatically added to the default proxy group.
11. Click on Ok.
12. A Managed Metadata Service Application is created successfully as shown in Figure 2-4.
Figure 2-4: New managed Metadata Service Application created successfully
Thus in this article you have seen how to create a Managed Metadata Service Application in SharePoint 2013 through Central Administration.